Local ethnic media outlets serve as essential communication channels for reaching very specific segments of the population during an emergency. Building and nurturing these relationships was critical work of Public Health – Seattle & King County. Consider the following when building your ethnic media partnerships:
- Ethnic media lists become outdated quickly – assign a key person for tracking contact information.
- Ethnic media outlets are small, often only 1-2 staff members and they may not have the capacity to deal with numerous requests or press releases.
- Staff may use little or no English and will need materials/information already translated into the appropriate language.
- Be selective about sending press releases – use them only when necessary.
- Small ethnic media outlets have limited resources – purchase advertising placement with them to help develop partnerships.